Gold mine dishes 700m/- to two districts


THE Nyangh’wale and Msalala District Councils have received total 687.66m/- from the Acacia’s Bulyanhulu Gold Mine as service levy for this year’s first half.

The Bulyanhulu General Manager, Mr Graham Crew, said in a handover statement in an event held in the Nyangh’wale District Commissioner’s Office on Monday that the payment has been divided into portions in accordance to the agreement with the government.

Mr Crew said the calculation of the service levy payment based on 0.3 percent of the mine’s gross earnings for first half of this year.

According to the calculation Msalala District Council will receive 67 per cent equals to 460.7m/- while the remaining 33 per cent or 226.9m/- goes to Nyang’hwale District.

The company started implementing the Sustainable Communities Strategy (SCS) in this year after consultation with the key stakeholders.

“We are aiming to contribute to the development of sustainable communities that enjoy a thriving local economy, with better access to social infrastructure and live in a safe and inclusive environment,” Mr Crew said. The SCS also want to achieve through transparent and constructive stakeholder engagements that build trusting relationships.

The strategy seeks further to align its activities with local development plans and work through partnerships to meet the needs of the communities.

Receiving a dummy cheque the Nyang’hwale District Commissioner Mr HamimGwiyama said the payment was a symbol of good neighbourhood between the mining company and the district. The DC said they will spend the money to boost various development projects under implementation.

To date, Bulyanhulu Gold Mine has paid more than 10.2bn/- as service levy in the last 17 years. Acacia moved to service levy payment of 0.3 per cent of the mine’s gross earnings in 2014 from the flat rate 200,000 US dollars per year in 2013.

CardealPage Co. Ltd
Gwiji la Habari Tanzania
Official Website for TSN
Sponsored Links
Advertise Here